This incredible achievement in power and efficiency was achieved through a number of advancements to the proven 2.6L Verado platform – and all aimed at creating the perfect powerhouse to complement the latest generation of hulls.
The 400R features a custom cold air induction system which delivers improved air flow and power development while significantly reducing intake noise for improved sound quality.
An all-new water cooled supercharger is designed to reduce intake temperatures and significantly increase air density. This enables the engine to generate unprecedented torque and unmatched acceleration all the way from the lower end of the power band up to the 7,000 rpm maximum engine speed.
Structural upgrades incorporated into the 2.6L cylinder block and head ensure durability even at this higher power output.
Multiple Gearcase options
The 400R is the first ever Verado to feature the race-proven SportMaster and the standard 5.44” HD Verado gearcase as an option.
The 5.44” HD Verado gearcase is available for applications that require additional bow lift, where as the SportMaster gearcase offers enhanced boat handling, speed and efficiency while making the 400R suitable for a greater range of applications – from single engine to multi-engine offshore applications.
The New 400R with the 5.44” 25” (XL) and 30’ (XXL) gearcase models are available from all Mercury Dealers. The SportMaster 20” (L), 25” (XL) and 30” (XXL) and the 5.44” 20” (L) HD Models are only available from Mercury Racing Dealers.
Zero Effort Controls with Joystick Piloting for Dual, Triple or Quad Applications
The Verado 400R is the first Mercury Racing outboard to feature Joystick Piloting for Outboards for selected multiple outboard installations. This takes the stress out of docking and manoeuvring in tight spaces by providing drivers with 360-degree movement at their fingertips.
Like all other Mercury Verados, the 400R comes standard with Mercury’s SmartCraft Digital Throttle & Shift (DTS) which replaces the lag and hesitation of traditional throttle and shift cables with digital precision. Mercury Racing’s ergonomic, high-style Zero Effort Digital controls go hand-in-hand with Joystick Piloting for an intuitive control experience – precisely signalling driver intent to the DTS equipped Verado 400Rs. The DTS system also features one-touch Smart Start, automatic throttle synchronisation and shadow mode for triple and quad engine applications (where two throttle levers operate all engines).
Auto Pilot with Skyhook for Dual, Triple or Quad Applications
JoyStick Piloting is also capable of acting as a virtual anchor. With a push of a button, Skyhook’s digital anchor pinpoints the boat’s position using GPS and automatically shifts, applies throttle, and manoeuvres the engines independently to maintain the boat’s position – ideal for waiting for fuel or hovering over a favourite fishing spot.
Integrated autopilot, auto heading and waypoint sequencing make navigation simple and efficient. A built-in digital compass on Auto Heading allows the driver to maintain course and make precise corrections with the touch of a finger. One-degree heading adjustments can be made with a tap on the joystick and 10-degree adjustments can be accomplished using the control panel. Trips with multiple stops between the starting point and final destination are a breeze with Waypoint Sequencing, which allows the operator to plot the boat’s course using multiple points. All of the system functions can be monitored and manipulated via Mercury VesselView displays.
NEW VERADO 400R – KEY FEATURES
- Most powerful consumer outboard ever produced by Mercury Marine.
- Provides the greatest power-to-weight of all other four stroke outboards in its class.
- Water cooled supercharger reduces intake temperatures for maximum power and performance.
- Electronic knock control enables the engine to run on Regular Unleaded fuel when the recommended Premium unleaded fuel for full power is not available.
- Structural upgrades incorporated into the 2.6L cylinder block and head ensure classic Verado durability, even at this higher power output.
Advanced Midsection (AMS)
- Stainless steel midsection guide plates with composite wear pads enhance engine stability at higher speeds and in rough seas.
- High performance engine mounts designed in conjunction with Mercury’s exclusive Advanced Midsection provide the best combination of handling and running quality.
- Electro-hydraulic power steering and SmartCraft Digital Throttle & Shift provide for an exceptionally smooth and responsive driving experience combined with sports car-like handling and performance.
- Compact 26” centre lateral package size accommodates
- Features the race-proven SportMaster gearcase with low water pickups for added performance. From single engine to multi-engine offshore applications – the SportMaster – in the correct application with natural bow lift – will enhance boat handling, speed and efficiency.
- Multiple gearcase options to maximise performance for a variety of applications.
- The race-proven SportMaster gearcase is for non-Joystick Piloting for Outboards (JPO) multi-engine applications capable of speeds in excess of 85 mph.
- Cambered skeg SportMasters available for single engine and JPO applications.
- The 5.44” HD Verado gearcase is available for applications that require additional bow lift.
- Bold new graphics scream performance
- “R” designates a new era of high performance marine propulsion from Mercury Racing
- The 400R is available in Cold Fusion White in addition to the legendary Mercury black.
- Cold Fusion White models come standard with Mercury Racing Blue accent colours.
- A total of seven optional colour decal kits are available to match a variety of boat graphics.