One half of the 2014 BARRA Tour Champion Team, Matt McArthur receives the ABT angler profile treatment. A passionate angler and still buoyed by a red-hot Rapala BARRA Tour last year Matt gives us an insight into his angling world.
- Name, age, and location–
Matt McArthur, I’m 35 years old and live in Sarina.
- How long have you been fishing ABT events–
I’ve fished seven years all up with a small break in there as well.
- Greatest achievement in tournament angling–
That would have to be taking out Team of the year in 2014.
- Preferred tournament species–
Barramundi hands down.
- Favourite tournament location–
Peter Faust Dam (Lake Proserpine)
- Your go-to technique–
- Your favourite lure–
That’s a tough one, probably a tie between a BTD General and a 130 Slicky.
- Your most feared competitor–
Wow that’s another tough one considering the anglers that are in the tour. Well seen as it’s a teams event I’ll have to say team Bass Mafia Outdoors/Rapala Jon Millard and Ethan Farrell. But I could off choose another three more teams easily.
- What, if any, sponsors do you have–
I’m extremely lucky to be currently sponsored by Fish-Tech Solutions, BTD lure, and Motoguide.
- How many days a month do you fish–
It’s up and down but on average at least 5-10 days a month.
- How much a year would you spending on tournament tackle–
If I was to be honest I would get divorced, lets just say in the thousands.
- Dream fishing location–
- Most embarrassing moment in a tournament–
When some good friends that are affiliated with Lowrance stuck Lowrance stickers on my Nitro without me knowing “shame”.
- Favourite place to eat on the road–
- How many tournament donuts have you had to eat–
Lets just say a few, even though you learn heaps of catching nothing when it comes to comp donuts I try to forget them.
- 1 outfit, 1 lure, 1 location–
Edge SC-ISR 706-1 spin Dawia Certate 3000, BTD General Jerk Bait, in a saltwater creek mouth somewhere in the central Queensland area.
- The tournament moment that broke your heart–
Leaving the basin at Peter Faust due to boating pressure knowing that at seven thirty that night they would light up, AND THEY DID.
- Superstitions and rituals–
None, just a good rigging session prior and a once over all the tackle.
- Hardest venue–
- Dream fishing companion–
Someone that can get there own snags off. Ha Ha