- Name, age, and location–
Richard Somerton, 43, Melbourne
- How long have you been fishing ABT events–
About 7 years in both Kayak and Boat events as a non boater
- Greatest achievement in tournament angling–
That would have to be winning the Hobie Kayak Worlds in 2013
- Preferred tournament species–
I love my Bream fishing both Blacks and Yellowfin but in the last 18 months or so I’m getting right into my Bass fishing as well
- Favourite tournament location–
That’s a hard one as so many offer different types of fishing, but maybe the Derwent in Tassie. I have fished it a few times as a non boater in ABT events but it would be fantastic to one day have a kayak event there.
- Your go-to technique–
I like my hard bodies. Especially twitching minnow type profiles and of course I’m a big fan of the Cranka Crab. Fishing them into nasty structure, that’s real pop them or stop them fun fishing.
- Your favourite lure– Cranka crab in glow
- Your most feared competitor– Well it used to be Greg Lewis he was a freak in a yak but at the same time he helped me out as well. But since Greg is in semi retirement from the scene for now? I would have to say Chris Burbidge. He is a great angler and we do have a friendly rivalry.
- What, if any, sponsors do you have–
A few people have supported me over the last few years. Scott Lovig withe SLH/Lovig Kayak Fishing, Steve and Andrew at Cranka, Steve Duff at Duffrods, Steve Feilds at Hobiefishing has supported myself and a number of other anglers through a number of major events and of course my better half Tanya ( my number one supporter!)
- How many days a month do you fish–
Not as many as I would like but maybe 5-8 days.
- How much a year would you spending on tournament tackle–
Not a great deal anymore mainly due to the above people that support me so it’s just the consumables.
- Dream fishing location–
Alaska, I’ve fished there a few times but each time I went back it got better and was taken to some new amazing locations each time so who knows how many more remote little gems there are?
- Most embarrassing moment in a tournament–
None really spring to mind but I bet if you asked the guys in the SLH team they would have one or two on me!
- Favourite place to eat on the road–
I don’t really have a favourite it’s just a case as whatever is quick and fills the void.
- How many tournament donuts have you had to eat–
Yeah there has been a few but I try a block them out
- 1 outfit, 1 lure, 1 location–
Daiwa Exist 2500, Duffrods HYSTIX 840, Cranka Crab light in Glow colour and Marlo in Victoria
- The tournament moment that broke your heart–
Last years Worlds in the Netherlands. I’d had a ok pre fish and a great first day and was leading but then couldn’t land a legal for the following two days and this followed the China event after leading first day then losing by a single legal on day two. So as the people that know me will tell you I was at a low and ready to give it all away. But that’s fishing!
- Superstitions and rituals–
Non really, there was the whole banana thing at the start, but when you do all the kilometres I do in a Yak they turned out to be great energy bars.
- Hardest venue–
Forster I would say it’s either really hot and I’m on it there or donutville for me.
- Dream fishing companion–
I’m a very keen flyfisher so spending some time chasing fish with Lefty Kreh would be amazing and might even sort out some nasty casting faults I have.