A rose among thorns on the ABT BASS Pro tour, Deb Kowalczyk is a lady who loves her bass fishing and lives for the tournament trail. A
seasoned performer and very understated in her abilities, Deb is one to look out for the weigh-in tent.
- Name, age, and location– Deborah Kowalczyk, 58, Wangi Wangi on the shores of beautiful Lake Macquarie, NSW.
- How long have you been fishing ABT events–
Around 8 Years.
- Greatest achievement in tournament angling–
Qualifying for my First ABT Bass Grand Final
- Preferred tournament species–
- Favourite tournament location–
Lake St Clair
- Your go-to technique–
Ice Jigging when the BASS ARE tight to the bottom with lockjaw.
- Your favourite lure–
6.5G Jackal Ice Jig in HL Purple
- Your most feared competitor–
I don’t really think about it, everyone is your mate in the ABT and the motto stands, “who shares wins”. I think you just go out, fish the fish, do the best you can and have a great attitude.
- What, if any, sponsors do you have–
None, when not fishing I run my own Candle Company both Online and at several markets in the Hunter Valley – Ilona Fine Candles.
- How many days a month do you fish–
4 – 5, but it should be about 30!
- How much a year would you spending on tournament tackle–
Do I have to answer this? My hubby might read it.
- Dream fishing location–
Helicopter fishing Barra in the runoff drains after the wet season in the Top End or chasing wild Sooty Grunter in the Johnstone River that runs through my Dad’s back yard in the Atherton Tablelands.
- Most embarrassing moment in a tournament–
Spinnerbaiting a hot bite, and getting lots of hits but not hooking up, then you discover you haven’t taken the protective plastic off the hooks, yep good one Deb.
- Favourite place to eat on the road–
Darr Creek Oasis on the Chinchilla-Wondai Road from Boondooma – best Battered Savs, Crumbed Schnity’s, and Devil Wings, great after a long comp.
- How many tournament donuts have you had to eat–
About 3 or 4, but I’m full now thank you very much.
- 1 outfit, 1 lure, 1 location–
Pflueger 7ft rod with Daiwa Luvias reel, St Clair – spinnerbaiting a hot edge bite, during the spring rise after the snow in the Barrington’s melts.
- The tournament moment that broke your heart–
You pre-fish hard, and smash it, then in the tournament you donut. That always breaks your heart, but then you just look forward to the next comp.
- Superstitions and rituals–
I don’t really have any superstitions, but my ritual is having a Lolly bag and a gift card for my boater each day. You can’t say no to a lolly bag and gift card, everyone loves a sugar hit.
- Hardest venue–
Somerset Dam (Damn)
- Dream fishing companion–
My Dad (and of course, Carl Jocumsen )